Pageviews past week

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I WOULD MAKE NOISES DEEP





I WOULD MAKE NOISES DEEP

In my throat that sounded
So unlike anything I knew
That I would scare myself.

I became ceremony in sound.
A whirl of phlegm, crackling
And sputtering up from the
Rooms I guard against time
And her dancing princesses.

A quaking, as if a bear suddenly
Came into the room on hind
Legs and performed the crushing
Of an arm as if it were a
Dance and she the music.

Now, as autumn pushes clouds
Ahead of itself with a yard
Full of leaves, I hear these
Same sounds again issue
From their scraping across
The drive and think them
A familiar music, something
Treasured, like a Nocturne by
Chopin remembered by the fingers
Long after the mind has forgotten
The specificity of the notes and rests.
It is a rustling of lace
In a room draped with silences.



No comments:

Post a Comment