Pageviews past week

Friday, June 28, 2013

A CENTURY OF DOVES




I USED A LINE FROM DOUGLAS BLAZEK TO SPARK THIS POEM.  DOUGLAS IS ONE OF AMERICA'S FINEST POETS.


“A CENTURY OF DOVES”
                    ...Douglas Blazek


A dreaming.
A tearing at the windows 
That opens to a particular jewel.
We can walk there. Even the air
Smells sweet as if the clouds were charms.

Here the Forlicon hills seem
To challenge the sea, almost taunt
It with hard, nearly leafless scrub
Plants that never seem to notice
The wind and cold rains. Like truths
That have seen all fools, they never
Shake in their perfect occasions, 
At spring, they have the smallest
Of yellow flowers, four-petaled.

I caught it in my throat
And it was a birdsong, one
I did not recognize and I thought
It my own and perhaps I had
Made it and then afraid to look
Down, but doing so, I saw myself
Fully fledged gazing at two pure
White herons perched in the branches
Of a tree nearly submerged in
A pond. There was only a moment of this
And the hills returned around me and I wept.




No comments:

Post a Comment