Pageviews past week

Sunday, December 22, 2013

A SMALL TRINKET HELD TO THE SUN

 Albert  Sebille - 5th Centruy B.C. Greek Ship

 Evgeni Gordiets

Listening to the music of the wind - Matthais Haker

This poem is from my collection WHERE THE STARS ARE KEPT.  RATTLESNAKE PRESS - copyright 2007 - 


A SMALL TRINKET HELD TO THE SUN


There is a point where I
Brushed a picture of you across
My mind.  A landscape near the sea.
Unable to bring the islands
Into focus, I called upon the weather.
Moisture in the air, a discrepancy of temperature
Between the forms of water.  Captured
Here, a moment of the heart; alone,
Unaccustomed to such luxury it
Speaks aloud.  "I love you," it says.

We traveled from Paris to Barcelona,
Giving gray to blue, as easily as kisses
Between friends.  The sunlight on
Your face, a certain music in your voice.

In the sky tram above the harbor,
We saw Columbus pointing up Las Ramblas.
"I'll make up a story about our being here,"
I promised.  What would happen?

Now November closes door after door, trying
To end the year as graciously as possible.
I hold you in my arms before you go
To sleep tonight.  The Leonoid meteor
Shower blasts through us; little holes
In every fabric, all unnoticed.

Another song begins, despite the hour.
I listen to it carefully.  We rain into each other.
High above this place, we flash signal after signal.







No comments:

Post a Comment